Finally, a strategy that employees use to enhance their careers and companies use to increase workforce agility.
Employees want clear expectations, compensation based on their real value, and opportunity for growth in their company and industry.
Employers want an agile workforce of engaged employees who create value for the company that is relevant and measurable.
How are these challenges met in a world of constant change?
...but focusing on skills will not bring lasting value, especially as we constantly need new skills in a constantly changing environment. Real value results from competence that is meaningful not only to the organization, but also to the employee.
A common definition of success is that if you work and train hard enough, you can be the CEO, a division leader, the greatest salesperson, or another great leader or best at something. That's motivating to the top 5 percent of people, but the other 95 percent know they will never reach lofty leadership positions or be the best at something, but they do want to be recognized for the value they bring.
One company changed the midpoint of their appraisal process to "Exceeds Expectations." Seems no one felt valued when told they only met expectations. That's good—most people want to be considered as better than average, but also frustrating—basing value on comparisons is a poor and demotivating strategy.
The company has limited resources. The company needs a way to know and build the real, measurable value employees bring to improve their personnel decisions and efficiently maximize the production of value for their customers.
Employees will gladly increase their engagement, learn new skills, increase their accountability, and do more if they know what value looks like and are recognized for the value they bring. Without that recognition, they'll merely be employees waiting for specific instructions so they don't run the risk of being punished for their errors.
The only people that like performance appraisals are those receiving the biggest raises that year. Even executives avoid annual appraisal interviews and ratings since they know ratings are subjective.
Goals work for people who are motivated by goals. Goals become burdens when they fail to reflect industry or organizational changes or when the goals are set on the wrong targets.
Technology is always the answer, right? Yet migrating current employee evaluation methods to technology solutions only broadcasts the same wrong perceptions more efficiently.
Bringing in a top-notch recruit might work for specific needs lasting a short time. But in the long run, you'll have problems retaining these right people as they find their next right job with someone else.
There's an expectation that supervisors will provide clear expectations. Yet many supervisors don't seem to know their own expectations. And is there really a match between expectations and measurement?
If a company gives employees more stuff, certainly employees will see the company as concerned about them. Until another company offers more stuff or better stuff. Stuff only supports bidding for talent.
Individuals use the Meaningful Competence™ strategy to become intrapreneurs. As an intrapreneur, you'll use the strategy to determine and provide the real value the organization and your team needs. You'll have the tools to target your personal improvement and communicate your value to improve your current job and get that next career enhancing event. Using the Meaningful Competence™ strategy, you'll eliminate stressful unclear expectations and replace them with Value-Added Outputs. You'll make your value visible to your supervisors and to yourself.
The choice to move from employee to entrepreneur is exciting, yet tough. Your language must change from what you do to the real value you provide. You'll use the Meaningful Competence™ strategy and toolkit to make that change. You'll start by identifying the value you bring and building your value story. Soon, your value story will flow so well that those you work with to build your business, such as marketing and sales, reflect that value story. As your business grows, you'll use the strategy to make sure each employee you bring on knows the valued outputs they should produce.
Organizations use the Meaningful Competence™ strategy to partner with their employees to produce value and increasing workforce agility. Through the use of Value-Added Outputs, supervisors and subordinates quickly adjust to industry and organizational changes. Employees have a strategy and toolkit to become intrapreneurs, focused on producing value that benefits the organization as well as themselves. Using the strategy and toolkit, supervisors can easily support career growth and provide employees recognition based on the real value each employee brings.
Copyright © 2020-2021 Torch Solutions Group, LLC - All Rights Reserved.
Meaningful Competence is a trademark of Torch Solutions Group, LLC